Spicy salted herrings
- 3 – 4 fresh herrings of medium size - 1 kg
- 300 ml water
- 100 ml vinegar
- 2 Tbsp salt
SALT AND SPICE MIX
- 4 Tbsp Salt
- 150 ml sugar
- 1 Tbsp of black, white and pink pepper mixture
- 1 Tbsp of coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 - 7 thyme springs
- 1 Tbsp of mustard seeds
- 2 buds of clove (up to you)
- Boil water with vinegar and salt, and then cool
- Soak the herrings in the marinade, put something heavy on top to squeeze and then store in a refrigerator for 12 hours. Using a blade, crush the pepper and mix it with the other spices.
- Fill the bottom of plastic container with one half of the spices, lay the herrings down, and spread the rest of the spices on top of them. Cover up with film or a lid, put a load on top. Keep refrigerated for 5 – 6 days.
- Serve with sweet onion rings and dill.
Thoughts and Ideas
Basing on this recipe you may salt not only herrings, but also ... horse mackerels, mackerels or sardines. The amount and kinds of spices may vary, its all up to your personal taste. If herrings are of large size, its better to cut them on fillets before salting.