Aubergines in pomegranate sauce
This is another “out of the fridge” recipe. I bought pomegranates to marinate the lamb and did not use all of them. Also I had several aubergines, so I decided to put them together.
- 500 g aubergines
- 1 pomegranate, juice only
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (optional)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar (Rioja)
- 2 shallots
- 2 tsp honey (more or less to your taste)
- 2 tbsp walnut oil (vegetable, olive)
- Black pepper, salt, chopped coriander
- Slice the aubergines, toss with the salt, transfer to the colander and leave for some time
- In a mortar crush the coriander seeds
- Slice the garlic
- In a pan heat the oil, add the coriander seeds and garlic, remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 10-15 min. Strain the oil
- In a bowl whisk together the pomegranate juice, vinegar, honey, oil and seasoning
- Slice the shallots thinly and add to the sauce. Place to the fridge
- Dry the aubergines with the kitchen towels
- Heat a bit of the oil in a pan and fry the aubergines from both sides until golden brown
- Arrange the aubergines on a plate, season with salt and pepper, pour over the sauce and place to the fridge for at least 30 min
- Serve sprinkled with the chopped herbs and pomegranate seeds.
Thoughts and Ideas
Take any aubergines you have, I took very small ones, finger-size, so I did not cut them at all. You can grill the aubergines, but I prefer the fried ones. Feel free to adjust the honey and vinegar to your taste.