Pumpkin Cheese and Bacon Crumble
6 servings as a starters or 2-3 as main dish
- 500 g pumpkin
- 50 g smoked bacon (chopped)
- 70 g grated cheese (Emmental, Cheddar)
- 1 small shallot onion (roughly chopped)
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (honey, sugar)
- 1-2 tsp Canola oil
- 1 tbsp half&half cream
- 100 g flour
- 40 g cold butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt, ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Peel pumpkin and cut into small cubes. In a bowl mix together the pumpkin, onion, rosemary, maple syrup. Drizzle the oil over pumpkin, season with salt, pepper, sugar, mix well. Arrange pumpkin on roasting pan in single layer. Roast for about 20-30 minutes, stirring once or twice (pumpkin should be tender but not collapsing) Take off from the heat and cool slightly.
- Prepare the crumble. In a food processor combine the butter, sugar and flour. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and pulse until the mixture resembles the breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl combine together pumpkin, chopped bacon, grated cheese, cream and mix gently. Divide mixture between 6 small ramekins. Top with the crumble and put to the oven for 15 min, bake until golden brown.
The amount of honey (sugar) depends on the sweetness of pumpkin and your taste. You can make the crumble a couple of days ahead and store covered in the fridge.