Finish tray-bread with poppy seeds - Peltileipa
This bread looks like a flatbread, but it is not, it is a regular bread, but baked in a tray as the name Peltileipa suggests- Pelti- baking tray, Leipa- bread. This bread differs from a flatbread in structure, taste and form.
- 250 ml tepid water (sparkling)
- 25 ml molasses (honey)
- 2 tsp salt
- 15 g fresh yeast
- 600 ml bread flour
- 25 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Rub the yeast into the sugar, add a bit of water, mix well and leave for 10 min
- On a hot dry pan toast the poppy seeds for 30-40 sec. Mix with the flour
- Pour the water into the yeast mixture and gradually adding the flour make a dough
- Knead the dough for 5-10 min, add the salt and oil and knead again
- Shape the dough into a ball and place into a greased bowl, cover with the cling film and allow to rise until doubled in size
- Dust the working surface with the flour and tip the dough into it. Using your fingers flatten the dough into a rectangle and fold it in three. Make a 90° turn and fold in three parts again. Cover with the cling film and allow to rest for 10 min
- Grease the 13x9in size baking tray
- Roll out the dough into the size of the baking tray and transfer the dough in
- Sprinkle the dough with the wholemeal four (corn, rice four), cover with the towel and allow to rise for 20 min
- Make a diamond pattern using a spatula or a knife.
- Spray the oven preheated to 240C with the water and bake the bread in a lower part
- After 5 min reduce the temperature to 200C and bake for 20 min
- Cool down on a wire rack
Thoughts and Ideas
If you are not using the poppy seeds, brush the bread with the salty water and sprinkle with the toasted rolled oats.