Finnish cheesy flat bread
Chewy and cheesy, this golden brown delicious flat bread is great for a quick appetizer or a snack.
- 200 g curd cheese (quark, cream cheese)
- 100 ml milk
- 300 - 350 ml AP flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50 ml melted butter
- 200 ml grated Cheddar cheese (Emmental, Edam, Mozzarella+Parmigiano, Gauda, etc to taste)
- 1/3 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp sugar (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour with baking powder, grated cheese and black pepper.
- In another bowl beat lightly together curd cheese, milk, sugar and melted butter.
- Add the flour with cheese into curd cheese mixture and make dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface (the dough is sticky) and dived into 6 portions.
- Roll out (or flatten with flour dusted fingers) each piece into a circle of 1 cm thick, pierce with the fork and transfer to a baking tray covered with the parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes, until golden. Serve warm.
Thoughts and Ideas
You can also use this basic recipe to make a sweet variation of this flat bread, by adding into the dough 150 g of grated apple or 150 g of grated carrots.