On the eve of winter holidays many people like giving their friends hand-made gifts, including edible ones. The recipe of the truffles below can serve as another idea of a sweet present.
- 300 g chocolate 80% cocoa (min 70%)
- 85 g butter
- 120 ml of dried cherries
- 50 ml caster sugar
- 40 + 60 ml Cherry brandy (rum, brandy)
- 1/5 tsp tonka bean powder (optional)
- 1/5 tsp cayenne pepper (chili) powder (optional)
- sugarless cocoa powder
- Chop finely dried cherries, pour 40 ml Cherry brandy and let stand until the liquid is almost completely absorbed
- Chop or grate the chocolate, put it in an iron or glass bowl and add 60 ml Cherry brandy
- Boil water in a pot, put the bowl with chocolate on the top (the bottom of the bowl shouldn’t touch boiling water),reduce the heat and hold on a water bath, stirring, until the chocolate and butter melted completely and combined
- Remove mixture from the heat, add powdered sugar, chopped cherries, tonka powder and pepper and mix thoroughly
- Store mixture in refrigerator until it becomes like soft modeling clay, sprinkle cocoa on the work surface. Taking with a spoon small pieces of chocolate mixture, put them onto work surface and make them round or conical form (cone-shaped)
- Put them on the tray and cool in refrigerator
- Sprinkle truffles thickly with cocoa
Thoughts and Ideas
This combination of cherries and chocolate is one of my favorites. Not only cherries can be used for these truffles, but also prunes, soaked in rum, brandy or port wine or dried apricots, soaked in Amaretto or Apricot brandy, depending on your taste. Tonka beans are hard to find and you cannot buy them in every country, but if possible to find, I’d recommend using exactly tonka and exactly with cherry truffles. In my opinion, it tonka tastes much worse with apricots than with cherries.
You can give the truffles a right shape using pastry bag with a large hole. For this freeze the tray and sprinkle with a thick layer of dried cocoa. Put large “drops” of chocolate mix on the tray with a pastry bag, and then cool in refrigerator.