Сhocolate Coffee Caramel Custard - Flan de Chocolate y Café
The classic custard dessert tastes even more divine when prepared with chocolate and coffee liqueur.
- 1 cups custard sugar
- 2 tbsp. grated unsweetened chocolate (1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 4-5 tbsp very hot strong coffee
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk (evaporated milk)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp Tia Maria or other coffee liqueur
- Shaved or grated sweetened chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare 4 individual 4 ounce custard cups.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved and syrup is golden brown. Pour syrup either custard cups, evenly coating bottoms. Place the cups in a deep-sided baking pan or small roasting pan large enough to hold them without touching. Set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl, dissolve chocolate or cocoa powder in hot water and set aside.
- In a blender or in a bowl with a whisk, beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in dissolved chocolate mixture and 3tbsp of the coffee liqueur. Pour mixture into baking dish or cups. Fill the larger baking pan or roasting pan with water to come 1 inch up sides of baking dish or cups. Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted into center of flan comes out fairly clean. Remove mold or cups from water bath and allow to cool completely.
- To unmold flans, run tip of wet knife along inside edge of dish. Place large serving dish over baking dish (or individual dessert plates over cups) and quickly invert.
- Drizzle flans with remaining 1/4 cup coffee liqueur. Garnish with shaved or grated chocolate.