Onion confiture with white wine
This recipe is for true gourmands.
- 1 kg onion (red onion, shallot)
- 75 g butter
- 150 g sugar (icing sugar, honey)
- 100 ml wine vinegar
- 500 ml white wine (red)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- Salt, pepper
- Raisins (optional)
- Peel the onion and slice it
- In a deep saucepan melt the butter with sugar on a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 20-30 min with the lid covered. The onion should become transparent and get a bit caramelised
- Add the coriander, wine and vinegar. Season to taste
- Continue cooking for 30 min on a low heat until the liquid is reduced
- Transfer to the clean jars and keep in the fridge
Thoughts and Ideas
I took sweet white onion, icing sugar and 1 tbsp of honey. For a long time could chose between white or red wine, so, took rose at the end, in which I soaked the raisins. I took less of coriander, as was afraid it would overbalance the foie gras.
Leave the confiture out for some time before using, as butter does get it hardened in the fridge.
I served the confiture on the foie gras mini-tarts.