Onion-black currant marmalade
- 500 g sweet red onion
- 30 g butter (drawn butter )
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp dried black currant
- 5 Tbsp Crème de cassis
- Salt, fresh ground black pepper
- Soak the black currants in Crème de cassis for 30 minutes
- Peel the onions, halve lengthwise and cut into half-rings
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the onions and sugar and stir occasionally until onions are soft and start to caramelize (10 to 15 minutes).
- Add wine vinegar, black currants with Crème de cassis, and stir until mixture almost comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until liquids have evaporated and onion is shiny, 15 to 20 minutes without a lid.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Chill and pour the marmalade into clean jars. Seal tightly. Keep in the fridge.