Chicken, Apricots and Honeyed-Pear Tagine
- 1 chicken (~1.2 kg)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1/4 tsp ground nut meg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground all spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 20 dried apricots
- 3 ripe pears (peeled, cut into 4-6 wedges)
- 150-200 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp drawn butter
- 150 ml whole blanched toasted almonds
- 5 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tbsp olive oil (vegetable oil)
- Salt, fresh ground black pepper
- Сut the chicken into 6 pieces.
- Stir together all spices, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat well.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tablespoon oil in base of tajine (or in skillet), uncovered, over moderate heat until hot, place the chicken pieces and fry until they turn golden brown. Transfer the chicken to a plate and reserve.
- Add the onions to the tajine and cook, stirring from time to time, until golden brown (6-7 minutes), add apricots and cook occasionally stir for 2-3 minutes more. Return the chicken to the tajine and add the stock, adjust seasoning with salt pepper, cover and cook for 40-50 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt butter until bubbling. Add pears and honey, turning them gently until the honey is caramelized. Hold aside.
- Serve chicken with honeyed pears, sprinkled with almonds on top, and garnish with parsley.