Chicken Casserole with Spicy Fig Compote
The Spanish Catalans have various recipes for fruit with meat. This is quite an unusual one, but it uses one of the fruits most strongly associated with the Mediterranean-the fig.
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 90-120 ml white wine vinegar (to taste)
- 1 lemon slice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 450 g fresh figs
- Put the sugar, vinegar, lemon slice and cinnamon stick in a pan with 120 ml water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the figs, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and leave for 3 hours.
- 120 ml medium sweet white wine
- pared rind of ½ lemon
- 1,5 kg chicken (cut into 8 pieces)
- 50 g thick streaky bacon cut into strips (smoked)
- 15 ml olive oil (vegetable oil)
- 50 ml chicken stock
- salt, ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Drain the figs, and place in a bowl. Add the wine and lemon rind.
- Season the chicken. In a large frying pan cook the bacon strips until the fat melts and they turn golden. Transfer to a shallow ovenproof dish, leaving any fat in the pan. Roll chicken in flour until covered. Add the oil to the pan and brown the chicken pieces all over.
- Drain the figs, adding the wine to the pan with the chicken. Boil until the sauce has reduced and is syrupy. Transfer the contents of the frying pan to the ovenproof dish and cook in the oven, uncovered, for about 20minutws. Add the figs and chicken stock, cover and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Serve with a green salad.