Orange spicy duck legs
This is one of the classic French cooking versions: Canard a l'Orange (Duck with oranges). The recipe belongs to. R. Dunn. Recipe is modified in according to personal taste.
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 rosemary sprig (10-12 cm)
- 4 sage leaves
- 1-2 shallot onions (chopped)
- 5-7 black peppercorn (crushed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 100 ml Crand Marnier (Cointreau, or orange liqueur to taste)
- Grind in a mortar or finely chopped with a knife all the herbs with salt add liqueur, onions, mix well and rub duck legs with this mixture. Put in a bag and leave for 3 hours in the fridge.
- 250 - 300 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- orange rind, removed with a peeler (cut into long thin strips)
- 2-3 tsp caster sugar (to taste)
- 10 cardamom pods, bruised with the side of a knife
- 1/3 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160C. Clean off spices and herbs from the meat, dry with paper towel and place in a roasting pan.
- In a saucepan combine juice, rind, sugar and spices and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and mixture has combined. Pour over duck legs, cover with foil and roast for 1 hour -1 hour 20 minutes. Remove foil and roast, basting frequently, for another hour or until golden and sauce reduced. Carefully pour off fat and discard, reserving juices.
- Serve duck legs with potato puree or rice and pour over the pan juices.