Apple Sausage Stuffing Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (~ 1200g)
- 500-600 ml apple juice (unsweetened)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- Combine together salt and rosemary. Rub chicken inside and out with mixture. Place the chicken into the apple juice and leave in the fridge for 12 hours.
- 400 g Italian sausage *
- 1 large apple Granny Smith (peeled, diced)
- 50 ml Calvados (French apple brandy)
- 2 tsp brown sugar (to taste)
- 1 tpsb Ghee butter
- Meanwhile make the stuffing. Preheat the skillet with 2 tbsp of the butter. Add apple and stirring occasionally continue cooking for 2 minutes. Sprinkle 2 tsp of sugar. Toss the mixture gently and cook over medium heat for an additional 2 minutes, until the sugar begins to caramelize. Drizzle the Calvados over the apples and flambé by igniting the brandy with a far-reaching flame. Place the mixture in a bowl. Remove the meat from sausage casings and mix with apple mixture.
- Rinse the chicken under cold water. Dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Place the chicken breast side down on a chopping board. Using a sharp knife, cut along the backbone. With a small knife ease flesh and skin away from bone keeping knife close to backbone and ribs. On reaching the joints, push the knife into them and ease them open. Continue to ease the flesh off the bone until the breast-bone is reached. Separate the flesh and carcass.
- Lay the chicken flesh side up and spread the stuffing onto chicken (making sure to press some of the mixture into the leg cavities) Fold skin over and sew up kitchen string. Tie the chicken with kitchen string every 5-6 cm. Season to taste.
- 2 small shallot onions (cut lengthwise)
- 2 tbsp Ghee butter
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp roughly crashed black pepper corns
- 1 tsp roughly crashed rose pepper corns
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Melt 2 tbsp of butter in an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add crashed pepper corns, garlic cloves, shallot, rosemary and thyme sprigs. Place chicken breast up on skillet, brush with melted butter and roast for 60-70 minutes. Brush with the pan juices every 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes. Remove skewers and string, Cut chicken into serving pieces.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE *
- 400g ground pork
- ½ tsp crashed dried fennel seeds (to taste)
- 1 tbsp minced onion (to taste)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Pinch of nutmeg (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)