There’s no particular recipe here, I just wanted to show that it is also possible to smoke a bigger piece of meat, not only small portions.
I had a pork shoulder (3 kg), did not feel like roasting, so decided to prepare it smoked
- 2-3 kg pork meat (pork shoulder, belly, boneless meat, lomo)
- 3 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 100 ml red wine
- 2 pomegranate, juice only
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp crashed bay leaf
- 2 small shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic bulb, cut
- 2-3 tbsp pomegranate sauce
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 7-10 juniper berries
- Mix together salt, rosemary, pepper, onion and bay leaf
- score the skin on the meat (if needed)
- rub the meat with the salt mixture, place the garlic pieces around and fold tight into the cling film. Leave for 12 hours or more.
- cover the meat with pomegranate juice and wine and leave to marinate for 12 hours
- clean the meat from the salt and herbs, pat dry with the paper towel
- transfer the meat onto the rack in the oven, place the baking tray with the marinate under it. Bake at 175 C for 1-1,5 hours
- place the smoking sawdust and juniper berries into the smoker
- cover the meat with the pomegranate sauce, salt and leave to smoke for 1 hour (follow the manufacture’s instructions)
Thoughts and Ideas
I prepared this meat for a cold plate. That was a real treat, one of my best meat dishes.