Karelian rice pasties - Karjalanpiirakka
Karelian pasties or Karelian pies (fin. Karjalanpiirakka) are traditional pasties from the region of Karelia. Today they are eaten throughout Finland.
The oldest traditional pasties usually had a rye crust, but the North Karelian and Ladoga Karelian variants also had wheat alongside of rye to improve the baking characteristics of the available rye breads. The common fillings of this era were barley and talkkuna. The 19th century first introduced potato and buckwheat as new fillings, and later due to trade, also rice and millet.
Nowadays in the most familiar and common recipe the pasties are made from a thin rye crust with a filling of rice. Butter, often mixed with boiled egg (egg butter or munavoi), is spread over the hot pasties before eating.
Karjalanpiirakka have Traditional Speciality Guaranteed (TSG) status in Europe.
- 200 ml water
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 350 ml rye flour
- 150 ml wheat flour
- 200 ml short-grain glutinous rice
- 1 litre milk
- 1 tsp salt
EGG & BUTTER SPREAD
- 150 g salted butter
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, mashed
- In a saucepan combine the milk and rice, season with salt Bring to a boil.
- Stir, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the milk is completely absorbed and the rice is soft and creamy.
- Preheat oven to 260 º C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the rye and wheat flour with salt. Add the water and make stiff dough. Shape into a ball, place into an oiled bowl, cover the bowl with a cling film and leave for 40 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface (the dough is sticky) and dived into 25 portions. Roll out each piece into a circle of 5 mm thick.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of filling evenly on each round. Fold two opposite edges of the pastry over the filling and crimp the edges of the dough toward the center to make an oval-shaped pastry, allowing about 1/2-inch of the crust to overlay the filling and leaving the center of the filling exposed.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until the pastries are golden on the edge- Remove from the oven brush with melted butter and cover with a towel.
- In a small bowl, cream the butter. Stir in the eggs and use it as butter on the pasties.