Pear, ham and walnut quiche
- 400 ml AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 100 g cold butter (cubed)
- 50 ml cold water
- 1/3 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Mix the flour with baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper
- Rub in the butter until you have a soft breadcrumb texture. Add the cold water to make the crumb mixture come together to form a firm dough.
- Knead lightly to form dough, roll out to line a 22 cm (base) and 5 cm deep lightly greased tart dish and leave in the fridge for 15 min
- 2 large firm-ripe pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 100 ml toasted and chopped walnuts
- 150 g cooked smoked ham, sliced (cooked York ham+3 slices smoked bacon)
- 200 ml grated Emmental cheese
- 150 ml grated Parmesan (Parmigiano) cheese
- 200 ml half&half cream (milk)
- 3 eggs
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Take the tin with the quiche crust out of the fridge, pierce with fork in several places, and trim the edge.
- Sprinkle the walnuts into the pastry base; add the sliced ham and pears.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add Parmesan cheese and stir well, pour over the filling.
- Sprinkle grated Emmental cheese over the top and bake for 35-40 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven, allow cooling and setting further.