Avocado and carambola salad
I’ve known carambola (or it is also called starfruit) for ages, but it was only when I came to Canary Islands I realized that carambola is not just a nice-looking fruit used for decoration, but it also eats very well!
Now I’m using carambola to its full, not only in desserts and puddings, but also for salads and other dishes.
- 2 ripe firm avocado
- 4 medium-sized carambolas
- 150 g feta cheese (Рrimo sale, Halumi)
- 100 g almond (flakes, coarsely chopped)
- 150 g salad leaves (iceberg lettuce)
- 50 ml almond oil (vegetable)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- Salt, black pepper
- Toast the almonds on a dry pan, until golden
- Pell the avocado, remove the stone, slice the flesh
- Whisk the almond oil, lemon juice, honey and seasoning
- Arrange the salad leaves on a plate, add crumbled feta cheese, sliced carambola, avocado add seasoning and pour over the dressing
- Top with almonds
Thoughts and Ideas
You can use rocket leaves for more intensive flavour, or mix rocket leaves with other salad leaves (50:50). Take any cheese to your taste.