Red cabbage and tangerines salad
This recipe belongs to Phil Vickery – one of the top British chefs. The combination of flavours is very good; the salad could be served as a side dish or as a separate meal. I adjusted the recipe a tiny bit.
- 3-4 tangerines
- 400-500 g red cabbage
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (honey)
- 3-4 tbsp walnuts oil
- 50-60 g walnuts
- Salt, black pepper
- Shred the cabbage thinly, add salt and crumple up the cabbage, transfer to a bowl
- Whisk together the vinegar, maple syrup and walnut oil
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage, stir, cover and put to the fridge for 30 min (minimum)
- Peel and segment the tangerines
- Toast the walnut on a dry pan, chop coarsely
- Arrange the cabbage into the serving plates, add the walnuts and tangerines, sprinkle with black pepper
The longer cabbage stays in the fridge, the better. If the cabbage is not very juicy, you can warm up the dressing a bit and then pour over the cabbage. You can use canned tangerines, I prefer the fresh ones.