Clams with drawn butter and garlic sauce
From all variety of clams, I like only the oysters and scallops. Though, there are some recipes where I make the exception.
- 2 kg fresh clams, cleaned thoroughly (discard any clams that remain open after cleaning)
DRAWN BUTTER AND GARLIC SAUCE
- 125 gm unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (2 tbsp orange juice)
- 1/4 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- salt, black pepper
- For the drawn butter and garlic sauce, place butter in a saucepan and melt over low heat without boiling it
- Using a spoon, skim any scum, which appeares and discard, then pour clarified butter into a bowl, leaving behind milk solids.
- Return the clarified butter to a clean saucepan, add garlic and saute for 1 minute or until aromatic
- Add lemon juice, paprika and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring 2cm of water (white wine) to the boil in a large pan over high heat, add clams, cover and cook for 2 minutes or until clams have opened.
- Drain in a colander and divide among bowls.
- Serve the clams dipped in drawn butter and garlic sauce with fresh bread.
Thoughts and Ideas
The dish is very simple but delicious. I suppose you can do the same with mussels. You might want to add more or less of the lemon juice, it depends on your taste. I prefer to make it with orange juice. You can use pre-prepared Drawn butter.