Orange Lobster Soup
- 1 lobster (700 g, 1 ½ lb)
- 1 leek (10 cm, white part)
- 2 medium sized potatoes (300g)
- 150 ml fresh orange juice
- 150 ml half & half cream
- 200 ml water
- 200ml milk
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- Drawn butter
- Ground black pepper, chopped dill
- Cook lobster in pot of boiling salted water until shell turns bright red and meat is opaque in center, about 7- 8 minutes. Drain. Transfer lobster to large bowl, cool. Working over same bowl to catch juices, twist off claws. Cut off tail. Cut lobster meat from shells. Reserve shells; scrape out green tomalley and discard. Cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces; cover and chill.
- Break thick shells into smaller pieces by putting in a sealed, thick plastic bag and either rolling with a rolling pin or hitting with a meat hammer to crush. Heat heavy bottom sauce pan with 1 tbsp of drawn butter, add the shells and occasionally stirring, roast for 10 minutes.
- Add milk, water, bay leave and bring to boil. Reduce the temperature and let simmer for 20 minutes (Do not stir the shells, just skim the foam every few minutes.) Strain the stock into large bowl. Return strained liquid to pan. Peel and cut potatoes in to small cubes, chop leek.
- In heavy bottom sauce pan melt 2 tbsp of butter, place potatoes and sauté , stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, add the leek and cook for another 3 minutes. Place potatoes to the lobster shell stock, bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Puree soup in blender. Thin with more hot water/milk if necessary. Bring soup to simmer. Stir in orange and lemon juice and cream. Season with salt and pepper. Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add lobster meat, sauté 1 minute to heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with lobster meat. Sprinkle with minced dill.
Thoughts and Ideas
Lobster and soup can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill. Instead of lobster you can use langoustines, scampi, crabs, or king prawns.