Roasted pumpkin, pepper and pear soup
- 2 red peppers, halved
- 500 g pumpkin
- 2 tbsp drawn butter
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 10 cm leek
- 2 pears
- 1 tsp grated ginger (optional)
- 500 ml chicken broth
- 150 ml half&half cream
- Salt, fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp toasted poppy seeds (to taste)
- Heat the grill and place the pepper halves under the grill to roast - the skin will blister and blacken in about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling film and allow to cool.
- Cut the pumpkin into thick slices, removing seeds and stringy loose flesh inside. Cut the pears in half, peel and core. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and place the pumpkin and pears on top. Bake in a preheated 180 C oven until both the pears and pumpkin are fork-tender, about 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool and scoop out the pumpkin flesh. Peel off the peppers and remove seeds. Chop the pears and peppers coarsely.
Heat the drawn butter in a medium stockpot, add the onion, ginger and leek and cook over a medium heat for 5-8 minutes until softened.
- Add the pumpkin, peppers and pears and half litre of broth. Season with salt, pepper and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, add the cream. Puree mixture with hand immersion blender. Serve soup warm with toasted poppy seeds or with your garnish of choice.