Beetroot Cream Soup with Caramelized Garlic
The beetroot cream soup has a soft velvety touch due to the goat cheese. Serve it with the caramelized garlic as an appetizer or as a main course.
6 servings as a starter or 3 for a main course
- 150 g grated roasted (boiled) beetroot
- 150 g potatoes
- ½ tsp chopped rosemary (to taste)
- ½ tsp chopped fresh thyme (to taste)
- 500-550 ml water (chicken broth or vegetable stock)
- 150 g fresh goat cheese (Chavroux) or cream cheese
- 50 g Crème Fraîche (sour cream)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt, ground black pepper
- 12 medium sized cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- Blanch peeled garlic cloves in boiling salted water about 1 minute. Remove and place in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Remove cloves from water and drain on paper towels.
- Preheat a skillet with 3 tbsp of butter with honey on the medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until well coated and the garlic is soft but still retains its shape about 5 minutes. Remove garlic form the skillet and set aside.
- Peel and cut potatoes into small cubes. Bring to boil medium sized saucepan with water (chicken broth or vegetable stock). Add the potatoes, сover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in grated beetroot and continue to simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender, add the goat cheese, Crème Fraîche and purée until smooth (or use a hand held blender). Season with salt, black pepper, chopped thyme and rosemary. Pour back soup into the pot and let simmer about 1 minute.
- Serve the soup in small or shot glasses. Garnish each portion with 2 cloves of caramelized garlic.